EXERCISE 21: Can you hear a ‘call’ yet?
In this Gospel contemplation, we are going to try to see if we can let God use our imagination to invite us into a deeper relationship…
- After you have centred and stilled yourself, read Luke 5:1-11 several times, slowly, to get right into the scene. Then close your eyes and let the scene play itself out. Note where your imagination puts you.
- Can you imagine yourself as one of the fishermen?
- Can you imagine what it feels like to be out there fishing?
- Or are you on the shore watching?
- Can you imagine Jesus calling you? What is he saying? What is he calling you to do?
- What do you feel when Jesus calls you?
- What do you think about?
- What do you say?
Note that there is no ‘right’ and ‘wrong’ way to experience this! Your imagination has a stock of images from which it chooses… Remember, if God really wants to talk to us, God will use whatever means works best for us… Let yourself be surprised! (But note down your experience afterwards in your Journal! Surprises are always useful.)