( also known as “Ignatian Contemplation”)
This method of prayer makes use of guided imagery and active imagination within the framework of a gospel passage of Jesus’ life. It is how we can enter into the life of Jesus through prayer. It is the essential instrument used in the Spiritual Exercises of St. Ignatius.
- Select a short narrative passage of scripture.
- Relax and settle into God’s presence.
- Read aloud the passage several times.
- Set the bible aside and allow yourself to take part in the scene, using the imagination.
- Immerse yourself in the scene.
- After the prayer period make a review, reflecting on what took place during prayer.
For a brief slide show on Gospel Contemplation click here.