(also called “Christian Meditation” through the teachings of the Benedictine John Main).
Centring prayer using a ‘mantra’ or ‘prayer word’ from scripture or one that rises spontaneously from the heart. The word or phrase is repeated slowly within oneself in harmony with one’s breathing.
- Choose some suitable mantra.
- Relax, thanking God for God’s goodness.
- Take a comfortable posture.
- Repeat the mantra over and over in rhythm until mind is blank.
- If distracted simply return and repeat mantra.
- Cease after a comfortable period, finish with the Lord’s Prayer.
For more on this type of meditation, see the website of the World Community of Christian Meditation.